Monday, November 22, 2010

November 22,2010 First chemo

Yes!!!!  First chemo is behind me. Have a pump pack on that will continue to pump chemo into through Wednesday afternoon. Will then give it all a rest for a week and a half.  So far so good. Gave me lots of anti nausea medication so hope that will all work.  Big thanks to Gail and Shirly for being my taxi service today. I didn't know what to expect, so they were kind enough to get me there and get me home.  No snow helped us all.  Those of you who have been there could help me with a question That kind of came up for me throughout the day. There were about 50 people in the room most of the time getting chemo. Sort of a continous changing of the guard. Health wise, I thought I looked great in comparison to what I was seeing.  My question became, did the other people look bad because of the long term effects of the chemo, or did they look bad because of the cancer? Guess I'm curious because if and when I start to look that way I will want to know which is causing the effect. My Dr is a very upbeat positive Dr which is of course what I want. But I want to know if I'm wasting away from what?? if it comes to that. All hypothetical of course.  Anyway , great to be on the road to doing something about it-for me kind of a euphoric feeling. Possibly by Wednesday night a little less so.
John

2 comments:

  1. Hey John

    Thinking of you in NYC and wishing you good results. Thanks for blogging this.

    My dad was part of an NCI protocol back in the 80s that tested those chemo pumps (hockey puck under the collarbone, right?). The targeted approach obviously works if they're still doing it.

    I'm not sure of the answer to your question but many people experience loss of appetite from the chemo, which is probably a big part of the unwanted weight loss. So not bad to have some meat on your bones going into this.

    Hope to see you back at Blefjellstue!

    Susan Brodie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was worried about John (no postings on the blog lately) so checked in by phone. He's expereincing some Chemo related symptoms but is otherwise OK. Thought his friends would like to know.

    ReplyDelete